It is located at the place where the first church of the Bolívar Square was raised in 1539 by orders of the founder Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada. The current building is the fourth construction in such place. The first one was started in 1538. Around the year 1550, the second construction was started, which disappeared in 1569. The third construction was started in 1572 and it was demolished in 1806 to give way to the current building, which construction was started in 1807, with the design of Brother Domingo de Petrés.
The current building was finished by Nicolás León with several changes from the original project, and it was confirmed as Primate Cathedral in 1823. It has been restored in several occasions, the last one was in 1998. The floor plan has a rectangular shape and it has three naves of the same height; the lateral naves have artist vaults and the main one has a pendentive dome. The facade has two bodies: the first one is Doric, and the second, as well as the towers, are Ionic. The remains of prominent figures of the history of Colombia and Bogotá, such as the city’s founder Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada, the precursor of independence Antonio Nariño, and painter Gregorio Vásquez de Arce y Ceballos, rest in the Chapel of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, the most important of the twelve chapels of the Cathedral.